TAMARACK: The Best of West Virginia celebrates West Virginia artists by showcasing their creativity and talent in this special juried competition. This show, which opens near West Virginia Day, is the only exhibition hosted by the David L. Dickirson Fine Arts Gallery that can be entered by any artist or artisan who is a West Virginia resident. Participants compete for four monetary awards, totaling $4000; Best of Show, Second, Third and People’s Choice.
Tamarack’s David L. Dickirson Fine Arts Gallery is seeking original two and three dimensional artwork, in any media and subject matter. This exhibition is open to all West Virginia’s residents, 18 years or older. Artists do no need to be juried Tamarack artists to submit artwork for consideration, though they must be a current resident of West Virginia, and work must adhere to our Gallery Guidelines.
All submissions are juried online with a 4 point rubric based on the following aspects, Creativity, Technique, Craftsmanship, and Visual Impact. The amount of work included in is based on top scores and capacity of artwork for the gallery space. The top three prizes are chosen in person after the exhibition is installed. The People's Choice award is chosen with guest ballots and given at the close of the exhibition.
2019 Best of West Virginia Juried Exhibition Jurors
♦ The David L. Dickirson Best in Show Award: $2,000
♦ Second Place Award: $1,000
♦ Third Place Award: $500
♦ People’s Choice Award: $500 (People’s Choice Winner will be announced at the exhibition’s end)
Dates and Deadlines
- Image Submission Deadline: April 22, 2019
- Decision Notifications: May 10, 2019
- Drop Off Deadline for Accepted Work: June 2 - 9, 2019
- Exhibition Run: June 15 - August 4, 2019
- Work Pick Up Deadline: August 10, 2019
- This exhibition is open to all artists who currently reside in West Virginia. You do not need to be juried into Tamarack to enter. You will be asked to produce proof of residency.
- All submitted works must be original and created within the last two (2) years. Work previously exhibited in a gallery exhibition organized by Tamarack or in the print bins on Tamarack’s retail floor is ineligible.
- Due to space limitations, large or multi-piece artworks may not be accepted.
- We are unable to display nude figure studies or graphic imagery.
A non-refundable fee of $20.00 is required from each entrant. Those sending a separate submission for an additional media category must submit a separate entry fee. You will be asked to pay your entry fee using the Credit Card/PayPal option at the end of this form.
All work sold by the Gallery is on a consignment basis with a commission split of 40% to Tamarack and 60% to the artist. All work must be labeled for sale.
- Review the above eligibility guidelines.
- Create an account or login to an existing account by following the instructions below. After you have done so, the entry form will become available to you and you can complete the following steps.
- Enter name, address, and contact information in the provided text boxes below.
- Upload a scan of a proof of West Virginia Residency using the uploading widget below. (Acceptable forms include a valid West Virginia Driver's License, a valid West Virginia State ID Card, or a current utility bill with applicant's name and address. Driver's License is preferred, but you are welcome to censor any information on the scan aside from your name, address and expiration date).
- Upload a biographical or artist statement below.
- Upload images of up to two (2) entries below. Be sure to include a title, medium, price, dimensions, and a brief description in the corresponding text boxes. Multiple images of each entry are permissible for the purpose of showing fine details. Image submissions must be in .JPEG format. Image resolution should be at least 300 dpi. Please title each image that you are entering with your last name and the title of the work, separated by an underscore; example "Lastname_Title."
- Review the final checklist to ensure all necessary elements have been uploaded to the form.
- Submit Payment using the Credit Card/PayPal option at the end of the form
Refer questions to:
email@example.com, please add BOWV to the subject line
1-88-TAMARACK, ext. 157