A “teachable moment” is an unplanned opportunity that arises in the classroom where a teacher has a chance to offer insight to his or her students; it is a fleeting opportunity that must be sensed and seized by the teacher. Teachers are some of the most influential people in the world. Teachers are perceptive, caring, and patient with the task of shaping minds, hearts and imaginations. For this special exhibition, A Teachable Moment, the gallery serves as the classroom. Coinciding with Youth Art Month, the four week exhibition gives West Virginia Art Educators an opportunity to share their original artwork at Tamarack.
Tamarack’s David L. Dickirson Fine Arts Gallery seeks original entries of two and three dimensional artwork, in any media and subject matter, from working and retired Art Educators who currently practice and live in West Virginia. This exhibition is open to all current and past art educators from all of West Virginia’s learning institutions, from preschool to university. Artists do not need to be juried Tamarack artists to submit artwork for consideration, though they must be a current resident of West Virginia, and work must adhere to our Gallery Guidelines.
Dates and Deadlines
- Image Submission Deadline: January 21, 2019
- Decision Notifications (sent via email): January 24-25, 2019
- Drop Off Deadline for Accepted Work: February 25, 2019
- Exhibition Run: March 2 - 31, 2019
- Work Pick Up Deadline: April 6, 2019
- This exhibition is open to all artists who currently reside in West Virginia. You do not need to be juried into Tamarack to enter. You will be asked to produce proof of residency.
- All submitted works must be original. Work previously exhibited in a gallery exhibition organized by Tamarack or in the print bins on Tamarack’s retail floor is ineligible.
- Due to space limitations, large or multi-piece artworks may not be accepted.
- We are unable to display nude figure studies or graphic imagery.
All work sold by the Gallery is on a consignment basis with a commission split of 40% to Tamarack and 60% to the artist. All work must be labeled for sale.
- Review the above eligibility guidelines.
- Create an account or login to an existing account by following the instructions below. After you have done so, the entry form will become available to you and you can complete the following steps.
- Enter name, address, and contact information in the provided text boxes below.
- Upload a scan of a proof of West Virginia Residency using the uploading widget below. (Acceptable forms include a valid West Virginia Driver's License, a valid West Virginia State ID Card, or a current utility bill with applicant's name and address. Driver's License is preferred, but you are welcome to censor any information on the scan aside from your name, address and expiration date).
- Upload a biographical or artist statement below.
- Upload images of up to two (2) entries below. Be sure to include a title, medium, price, dimensions, and a brief description in the corresponding text boxes. Multiple images of each entry are permissible for the purpose of showing fine details. Image submissions must be in .JPEG format. Image resolution should be at least 300 dpi. Please title each image that you are entering with your last name and the title of the work, separated by an underscore; example "Lastname_Title."
- Review the final checklist to ensure all necessary elements have been uploaded to the form.
We are eager to see your entries. If you have questions or concerns, please refer them to:
Alice Yurick | Gallery Supervisor
firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-88-TAMARACK, ext. 157