Each March, Youth Art Month is celebrated across the country to emphasize the importance of art education in schools and the field of Visual arts. TAMARACK: The Best of West Virginia is excited to foster young West Virginia Artists with our annual Youth Art Month Juried Exhibition.
We are hosting our annual Youth Art Month Exhibition to also provide a valuable educational experience for young artists to learn the basic practices of entering, preparing, and displaying their artwork for a gallery exhibition, and give the next generation of Mountain State artists an opportunity to shine. This exhibition will be on display in our Youth Art Gallery, which is located in the Governor Hulett C. Smith theater lobby.
The Youth Art Month Exhibition will feature works from four grade categories (K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12). Selected artwork will be chosen by jurors currently enrolled in West Virginia Colleges and Universities. The jurors will also select a first, second, and third place winner from each grade category. The top three winners of each grade category will receive a cash prize $100 for first, $75 for second and $50 for third. Winners will be announced during an awards ceremony on Sunday, March 3, at 4:00 pm; a reception will follow, with refreshments.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Image Submission Deadline: February 13, 2019
- Decision Notifications (sent via e-mail): February 17, 2019
- Delivery Deadline for Accepted Work: February 24, 2019
- Exhibition Run: March 1 - April 1, 2019
- Work Pick Up Deadline: April 13, 2019
Exhibition Guidelines for Artwork
- Each student may enter one (1) piece of artwork for consideration.
- All entries must be two-dimensional pieces that hang on a wall (i.e. drawings, paintings, photographs, fiber works, mixed-media, etc.)
- Entries must be on paper or other flat surface that measures 8 x 10 inches
- Students can choose any subject they’d like, but the content must be family friendly.
- Ensure your entry follows the guidelines of the exhibition.
- Sign in, or create an account below.
- Enter the information in the provided text boxes below.
- Upload an image of your entry below. Multiple images of each entry are permissible for the purpose of showing fine details. Image submissions must be in .JPEG format. Image resolution should be at least 300 dpi. Please title the images you upload “Lastname_Title”.
- Be sure to include a title, medium, dimensions, and a brief description in the corresponding text boxes.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail from the Submittable service if your application has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt, please contact the gallery office.
For Accepted Artwork
- Label the back of the entry with the artist’s name, address, email and title.
- When delivered, art must be dry, and ready to hang. Please do not frame your entries; Tamarack will supply mattes for accepted pieces.
- Parents/Guardians are asked to complete a release form for marketing purposes.
We are eager to see your entry. If you have questions or concerns, please refer them to: email@example.com, 1-88-TAMARACK, ext. 157
Alice Yurick, Gallery Supervisor