Although Jeff Koons, the King of Kitsch himself, prefers the term banal, “kitsch” has made its home in the art world the same way that pop art has. We hear people make mention of what is and isn’t art all the time but it’s rare that we ever hear “why isn’t it art?” This exhibition is all about looking at art, not through the critical eye of an artist but through the eyes of a viewer who embraces the oddity, humor, and “banal” of kitsch and the irony that surrounds it. After all, good jokes incorporate irony and, as Elizabeth Taylor once said “If you can’t laugh at yourself, you’re cooked!”
Tamarack's David L. Dickirson Fine Arts Gallery is seeking original two and three-dimensional works that bring kitsch to the forefront and celebrate the beauty of the “banal”.
This exhibition is only open to Tamarack juried artists. For more information about how to become a Tamarack artist, visit this link.
Dates and Deadlines
- Image Submission Deadline: January 20, 2020
- Decision Notifications (sent via email): January 23-24, 2020
- Drop Off Deadline for Accepted Work: February 24, 2020
- Exhibition Run: February 29 - April 5, 2020
- Work Pick Up Deadline: April 11, 2020
- Ensure your entries comply with our Gallery Guidelines, which are available by request.
- Sign in, or create an account below.
- Enter name, address, and contact information in the provided text boxes below.
- Upload images of up to six (6) entries below. Multiple images of each entry are permissible for the purpose of showing fine details. Image submissions must be in .JPEG format. Image submissions must be in .JPEG format. Image resolution should be at least 300 dpi. Please title each image that you are entering with your last name and the title of the work, separated by an underscore; example "Lastname_Title."
- Be sure to include a title, medium, price, dimensions, and a brief description in the corresponding text boxes.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail from the Submittable service if your application has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt, please contact the gallery office.
- Decision notifications will be distributed via e-mail by January 23-24, 2020. Delivery of accepted work(s) will then be scheduled accordingly.
We are eager to see your entries. If you have questions or concerns, please refer them to:
Alice Yurick | Gallery Supervisor
email@example.com, 1-88-TAMARACK, ext. 157