Each March, Youth Art Month is celebrated across the country to emphasize the importance of art education in schools and the field of Visual arts. TAMARACK: The Best of West Virginia is excited to foster young West Virginia Artists with our annual Youth Art Month Juried Exhibition.
We are hosting our annual Youth Art Month Exhibition to also provide a valuable educational experience for young artists to learn the basic practices of entering, preparing, and displaying their artwork for a gallery exhibition, and give the next generation of Mountain State artists an opportunity to shine. This exhibition will be on display in our Youth Art Gallery, which is located in the Governor Hulett C. Smith theater lobby.
The Youth Art Month Exhibition will feature works from four grade categories (K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12). Selected artwork will be chosen by jurors currently enrolled in West Virginia Colleges and Universities. The jurors will also select a first, second, and third place winner from each grade category. The top three winners of each grade category will receive a cash prize $100 for first, $75 for second and $50 for third. Winners will be announced during an awards ceremony and a reception will follow, with refreshments.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Image Submission Deadline: February 12, 2021
- Decision Notifications (sent via e-mail): February 15, 2021
- Delivery Deadline for Accepted Work: February 22, 2021
- Work Pick Up Deadline: April 8, 2021
- Exhibition Run: February 26 –March 29, 2021
Exhibition Guidelines for Artwork
- Each student may enter one (1) piece of artwork for consideration.
- All entries must be two-dimensional pieces that hang on a wall in any medium (i.e. drawings, paintings, photographs, fiber works, mixed-media, etc.)
- Artwork should not exceed 36 inches in any direction. Due to space limitations, large or multi-piece artworks may not be accepted.
- There is no theme, but the content must be "family friendly."
- Artwork must be “ready to hang," (i.e. matted, mounted, or framed, and frames must have a wire or secure hanging apparatus.)
- Ensure your entry follows the guidelines of the exhibition.
- Sign in, or create an account below.
- Enter the information in the provided text boxes below.
- Upload an image of your entry below. Multiple images of a single artwork are permissible for the purpose of showing fine details. Image submissions must be in .JPEG format. Image resolution should be at least 300 dpi. Please title the images you upload “Lastname_Title”.
- Be sure to include a title, medium, dimensions, and a brief description of the artwork and how it will be hung in the corresponding text boxes.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail from the Submittable service if your application has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt, please contact the gallery office.
For Accepted Artwork
- Label the back of the entry with the artist’s name, address, email and title.
- When delivered, art must be dry, and ready to hang.
- Parents/Guardians are asked to complete a release form for marketing purposes.
We are eager to see your entry. If you have questions or concerns, please refer them to: email@example.com, 1-88-TAMARACK, ext. 157
Alice Yurick, Visual and Performing Arts Assistant Manager